× Home Trail Rides Hikes Mustang Trips
Horse Drives
Day Rides
Custom Hikes
Private Pack Trips
Packing School
Base Camps
Spot Trips
Find Us
General Info
WILDERNESS PERMITS for our guests are issued from our commercial quota, NOT from the general public quota.

Mustangs. . . A Living Legacy

Track wild horses and relive the Old West in the seldom-visited Pizona area of the lnyo National Forest. From a central meadow camp, riders will track the mustangs in their natural pinyon forest habitat. Observe and photograph herds and wildflowers. Enjoy spectacular sunsets over the Sierra and White Mountains while the cook prepares dinner over an open fire. Later, around the campfire, our experienced tracker guides will share their knowledge of the wild horses and other wildlife. Learn about the social behavior of the horses and their current struggle.

Mark Bedor has produced a TV series, "Today's Wild West". Episode 10 contains footage of a Rock Creek Pack Station Mustang trip.

Click Here for pictures of our Pizona campsite.

We recommend that you spend the night before the ride in Lee Vining, Bishop or Benton Hot Springs.
DAY 1: We will meet at River Springs at 8 a.m. (see directions, below). You will be greeted by your guides, paired with your horse and ride into the Pizona Springs camp. Seminars include map orientation and history of the wild horse.

DAYS AT PIZONA: Full day in field, riding out to track and observe horses on open range and watering sites. Periodic stops for viewing, informal discussion and rest. Seminars include social structure and behavior of wild horses, seasonal range ecology and current issues affecting maintenance of free-roaming wild horses.

LAST DAY: Take a ride to the western range with lunch before returning to vans at River Springs Roadhead. Seminars today include obtaining, training and using wild horses. The last meal served will be lunch. Expect to arrive at your cars by 4 p.m.

Where to meet: The directions from Bishop to River Springs are as follows:
1.Take Highway 6 north from Bishop to Benton and make a left turn on Highway 120.
2. Head west on Hwy 120 and go 16 miles.
3. You will see a road marker 42.50.
4. Take the next dirt road to the right.
5. Head 3 to 4 miles on road. Look for corrals about three miles on right. If you go to end of road you will be at River Springs which is where Rock Creek originates trip.

What to Bring


Call us TODAY at 760-872-8331 for a quick response to your questions.
You can email us, also.

officialbar.jpg - 8505 Bytes

All Trail Rides and Packing Schools are subject to an 8% regulatory reservation fee, plus 2% USFS fee.
Horse Drives are are subject to an 8% regulatory reservation fee, plus 3% USFS fee.
Mustang Trips are are subject to a 3% USFS fee.
Trips traveling in Yosemite National Park are subject to an additional 3% park use fee.
Trips traveling in the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are subject to an additional 3% park use fee.
Permits and permit monitoring fees are applied per person for trips. Permits are issued from the commercial allocation.

Rock Creek Pack Station, Inc operates under permit on the Inyo National Forest.

NOTICE: In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, and reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.)

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible State or local Agency that administers the program or USDAs TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information is also available in languages other than English.

To file a complaint alleging discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027 , found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html , or at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provided in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (a) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (b) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (c) email:program.intake@usda.gov.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.

Last Updated:July 8, 2024
Copyright © 2005-2024 Rock Creek Pack Station - All Rights Reserved